Secrecy jurisdictions/tax havens
Financial transparency can finance development
- It was a mild Sunday in early April 2016 that changed my perspective on investigative reporting forever. At exactly 8 pm, the story we’ve been working on in secret for so long, broke: The Panama Papers.
- You have to leave your ego outside the door. We are all working together on this and no matter how big or small your news organisations are, said Marina Walker deputy director of ICIJ on my first meeting about the Panama Papers in Washington in May 2015 with around 20 other journalist. This was eleven months before the Panama Papers stories were published all over the world.
Would the Government like to know about mailbox companies and capital in tax havens? If so, they already have the key themselves.
Working on the Panama Papers I have realized, more than ever before, the power of networking and collaboration. The teamwork with international journalists gave me the confidence and empowerment to dare a fearsome figure in the corridor of power.
Armenia’s Special Investigative Service (SIS) dropped the offshore business case against former Chief Compulsory Enforcement Service Officer Mihran Poghosyan in January this year.Writen by Kristine Agalaryan* (photograph on the right)
Off-shore "paradise" islands are back in the news and as far as I am concerned they should stay in the news until these shelters for the super-rich, tax evaders and also mega-criminals are sorted out.
Statoil and others should be forced to report on their mailbox empires. Or does the State prefer to get this sort of information through the news?
- All the main techniques used for capital fiight can be grouped into one area – abuse of cross-border regulation.
- Tax credit is already an approved method for dealing with revenues cross-border together with withholding taxes.
- Reverse Tax Credit can use the tax credit principles to deal with costs cross-border and eliminate the “need” for tax havens.
- Reverse Tax Credit can be enacted unilaterally by any country, and will automatically leverage the playing fields between companies, large or small, mul